Like so many other fans of the popular card game, you might be wondering if there’s foolproof strategy to win blackjack. In this article we’ll outline the basics of using blackjack strategy.
If you want to learn how to beat blackjack, you’re in the right place. It’s not only card-counters that have figured out the ultimate strategy to win blackjack. There’s a basic blackjack strategy that doesn’t require you to become a math genius first.
You can think of this page as your blackjack cheat sheet next time you venture to play online.
Strategy to Win Blackjack – The Basics
The basic strategy to win blackjack comprises of a set of guidelines that let you know the best course of action for every hand combination you’re dealt. This uses your own hand, plus the dealer’s up card to determine how you should play.
Since blackjack is the only casino game with a mathematically optimal way to play. Then it only makes sense that the strategy to win blackjack would use statistical information to ensure you’re taking the action with the highest potential to work out in your favor.
What this can do for you is keep your losses to a minimum, maximize your wins. And at the very least, keep your gameplay structured with little room for error.
Let’s Start with The Terminology
As a new player, you might not understand all of the terminology of the game of blackjack. Therefore, read over the following:
- Hit – request an additional card, you can do this until you decide to keep what you have or bust.
- Stand- take no additional cards
- Double Down – double the amount of your wager, take an additional card and stand.
- Split – When you have two matching cards, you can split them into two separate hands. Thereby doubling your bet.
- Surrender – for games that include this rule, you can give up half your bet if you are dealt a hand that you’re sure will lose.
- Insurance – when the dealer’s up card is an Ace, you can take insurance on your hand in case he wins. This will give you back half of your wager if the dealer gets blackjack.
Some Tips from Blackjack Strategy
It would be extremely tedious to list out the entire basic blackjack strategy and we don’t want to bore you. The best thing is to have a strategy card on hand the next time you play. This can be found online or even in the casino’s gift shop.
Here are a few key examples that you’ll find when using a strategy to win blackjack:
Splitting Eights and Aces
Splitting pairs of eights and aces has proven statistically to result in more wins than playing them together. Remember that aces are either one or eleven, so splitting them will usually resulting in a better hand than keeping them together. The same goes for eights, where a pair only equals sixteen.
When You Have a Hand that Could Bust Based on the Dealer’s Up Card
If you have a weak hand and the dealer has a face up card of four to six, it’s usually better to stand. Of course, your weak hand could be improved. But it would be a guaranteed win if the dealer busts.
For more top tips for winning blackjack, be sure to keep up with our experts at NZ Casino Games.